Saturday, March 10, 2012

General views on Dragon Age 2?

Just wanted to know what people generally thought of Bioware's latest romp in the Free Marches. Loves and hates. Romances and rivalries. That kinda thing. Personally, I think they did a fantastic job with the variation in companions. I love how they produce much more intricate stories for the companions, more so than their previous titles. The persistent sparks between the mages and templars is really cool.





I also like how the main plot focuses on different things, rather than one ultimate story. Instead it looks at Hawke's background, and his Fereldan roots, the Qunari uprising, and the war between mage and templar.





So yeah, anyone's views are welcome here. Just interested in what people thought.





Fire away, gamers.|||I feel as if it was worth the cash. All things considered it was was really rather splendid. Given that this game was a transition piece meant to add a depth beyond "oh no it is another blight" it was quite well told. That said it felt a tad bit rushed and awkward at times.



It's nice that for the first time practically every one that you can romance plays for both teams. Often the most interesting option isn't available to what ever you play as. Beyond that Merril is bugged so I didn't get to finish. I assume it is typical Bioware romance and I didn't miss much.



Didn't see any of the rivalries. Was a pro-mage freedom smart mouth and every one was over 50% friendly by the end of my game.



It would be hard for me to say the companions had more intricate stories. With the exception of Anders and Aveline I woulds accuse the writers of type casting. The warriors (Carver and Fenris) are stuck up straight forward people with chips on their shoulders, the rouges (Isabel and Varric) are fun loving free spirits,and the mages (Bethany and Merrill) are kindhearted yet rather diluted. Even as Anders breaks the kindhearted mold he was still diluted. I would go so far as to claim this is a conspiracy to make one miss Oghren.



Having done all the side quests I would also say the lack of effort in map variety distracts from the feeling of immersion. Yes even the first dragon age reused maps, but would it have really been that hard to code a solid looking wall and hide the part not used from the mini map. Defend it if you must but the inoperable door method is cheap.



Those are my only gripes however. Now some 700ish saves, and 65 hours of play time I'm leaving it looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment